You can hide trembling hands in your pockets, but twitching head immediately attracts attention. Neurotics and people with dystonia, who periodically shake their head with excitement often fear to cause ridicule or seem seriously ill. Moreover, they are worried themselves: is this symptom a sign of some serious disease?
Head Is Shaking in Different Ways
It is necessary to distinguish shaking from head tremors due to anxiety, because these conditions require different approaches in treatment.
Note!The tremor of the head is sometimes invisible to the patient: either it is weak, or the person is already accustomed to it. A tick is a rather “bright” movement, which is always realized by the person.
Nerve ticks are fast, occur once and the process usually involves several specific muscles. From the side, the tick may look like a certain action: it may seem that the patient nods or throws his head back, while he may also squint or curve his mouth. At the same time, as a rule, there is no pain or other discomfort. The only “tragedy” of ticks is that sometimes patients feel unbearable psycho-emotional tension. As soon as there is another impulse to make a tick, a person cannot resist it, and the performed action eases the condition for a while.
Tremor in its turn has a long character, it involves different muscle groups. In this case, the patient does not feel any need to perform shaking. He’d be happy to stop, but it’s not that simple. The head just twitches independently. The psycho-emotional state of the patient is not changeable – he can be calm, depressed, irritated or worried for the whole day.
Causes of the Problem
When there are head tremors due to anxiety, then something goes wrong in the body and nervous system. The presence of vegetative dystonia, neurasthenia or degenerative disc disease does not exclude other serious pathologies. Nervous shaking of the head, as a rule, does not come with the first stressful situation. There should be many events that would entail such an unpleasant symptom. It usually starts with short episodes. After another stress, a person may have a feeling of hair moving or a feeling of a helmet, which will slowly turn into twitching, trembling, tics. If there are too many stressful events in life and a person is regularly subjected to mental challenges, he may not pay attention to the onset of the symptom. Only when the symptoms become clear and long-lasting the patient sounds the alarm. If you suffer from head shaking due to anxiety, this means that:
- the amount of stress in your life exceeds all permissible limits-the body has directed all its forces to “survival”, and many areas of your brain are now too active. there are more pulses in neurons than you need;
- you have a wrong diet – due to lack of calcium and magnesium muscles and nerves are too excitable;
- you are overtired by work or problems, there is a lack of sleep. Central nervous system is extremely sensitive to such challenges, so it begins to work on wear and tear and soon strays from the course;
- perhaps you drink too much alcohol, coffee or strong tea – all this excites the neurons of the central nervous system, depletes the body’s reserves, increases emotional and muscular excitability.
These causes of head tremor should not be ignored. Over time, they can develop into more vivid pathology of the nervous system. But they can still be quickly corrected. The following conditions require long-term treatment and medical supervision:
- Consequences of head trauma. If, as a result of an incident, the neurons of the extrapyramidal system were affected, zones of high activity are formed in these areas of the brain and the head will twitch.
- Tumors in the brain. In addition to the above reasons, the tumor can also put pressure on the vessels. Due to this the nerve cells do not receive enough supply and can not fully perform their functions.
- Infections. If certain bacteria or viruses reach the brain, an inflammatory process that damages the blood vessels and neurons will begin.
- Diseases of the gastrointestinal tract. It is hard to imagine that the head can shake because of the stomach or intestines, but this factor exists. With inflammation or the presence of worms, the intestine does not absorb calcium (like other nutrients). A lack of calcium threatens to increase muscle and nervous excitability.
- Mental illness. As soon as the neurons of the extrapyramidal system begin to participate in the organic changes of the brain, there will be additional nerve impulses.
- A reaction to medications. Some psychostimulants and anticonvulsants cause muscle twitching.
In case of head twitching due to anxiety you need to analyze your own life. Maybe you are too tired and need to improve the lifestyle. Nevertheless, it is better to visit a therapist and a neurologist who will make you a reliable diagnosis and help to cope with an unpleasant symptom.