A feeling like head is in a vice can exhaust a person to the extent that his/her entire life will turn into a nightmare. Many people not only experience severe physical discomfort, but are also seriously afraid for their health, suspecting a brain tumor or expecting an imminent stroke. One of the most common causes of such a feeling is vascular dystonia. The disease makes the nervous system too susceptible to the experiences and situations of stress.
Why Is this Happening and How Is It Manifested?
People suffering from Vegetovascular dystonia often have headaches and feeling like head is in a vice is their constant companion. There are three reasons for this:
- Hypertension or hypotension. With low blood pressure (hypotension), human’s vessels expand. The result is difficulty in the passage of blood through the capillaries, and the patient can feel pulsations in temples. High blood pressure (hypertension) provokes the occurrence of spasms, which occurs due to the release of adrenaline in the blood, prolonged psychological stress, fatigue or stress. In this case, patients often describe their condition with the phrase “head feels like it is in a vice”.
- Atmospheric pressure. The patient may feel like there is “helmet” on the head and strong compression due to low atmospheric pressure. At high pressure, the vessels weaken and swell, so the brain does not receive enough blood.
- Personal features. Often the headache and the feeling that something is pressing the temples arise due to the fact that the person is too hypochondriac and sensitive. Such individuals perceive everything too hard. Such patients are confident in the bad result of any business and see the world around them in gloomy tones, expecting danger from everywhere. As a result, they constantly suffer from discomfort and pain in various parts of the head.
The feeling of “Vice” may be accompanied by the following symptoms:
- intense or drawing pain in the head area;
- high or low blood pressure;
- redness of skin, hot face and neck;
- nausea, vomiting.;
- sinking heart;
- inability to concentrate, desire to squint;
- shortness of breath, pulsation in the temples;
- tightness in the neck or jaw;
- weakness, lethargy, apathy;
- flies in the eyes;
- irritability, nervousness, aggression.
In addition to this, the feeling like your head is in a vice can cause a panic attack with all its painful symptoms which could make the condition significantly worse. In panic attacks, there is often a fear of death, and these fear can be transformed into an irrational, uncontrolled phobia.
Treatment and Prevention
Any symptoms caused by stress or fear are the psychotherapist’s domain. It is useless to take painkillers. They will relieve the symptom only temporarily, but do not eliminate its cause. At psychotherapeutic sessions, the specialist will help the patient to understand the essence of the condition and to assess the manifestations of panic and fear adequately. They also teach to apply various techniques of self-control. Thus, the patient should learn how to control himself in the event of certain undesirable manifestations. Prevention of any headaches and similar sensations includes:
- daily ventilation of the room;
- long walks in the fresh air, avoidance of a sedentary lifestyle;
- exercise, tailored to the age and state of health, jogging (excessive workload should be excluded);
- massage of the head and neck-collar zone (you can do it yourself);
- good sleep (8-9 hours);
- bad habits cessation;
- proper nutrition, the inclusion of all necessary vitamins and minerals in the diet;
- cessation of self-medication and uncontrolled use of medical preparations;
- avoiding stressful situations;
- increasing self-esteem, using methods to combat self-doubt;
- dedicating a lot of time to your favorite hobbies.
What is more, it is necessary to do things that cause only positive emotions as often as possible. Soon you will feel yourself calm and your fears and complexes will disappear. The feeling when it seems that the head is in a vice will go away along with the negative. A good way to escape from heavy thoughts and get rid of stress is also a constant employment which prevents dark thoughts from getting into the head.