Table of Contents
According to statistics, a modern resident of the metropolis spends a third of his life in transport. Even in a small town, where you can get everywhere by feet, sooner or later you have to call a taxi or drive in a stuffy bus to the nearest village to relatives. For some people, these forced trips are a real challenge. Amaxophobia is the fear of public transport (mainly the wheel transport). First, at risk of this phobia are neurotics, people suffering from vegetovascular dystonia, alarmists and overly impressionable personalities with great imagination.
When there Is Absolutely no Reason to Panic and when the Help of Psychiatrist Is Required
Fear of public transport has several forms of manifestation, and some of them are completely absurd (but still deserve the same serious attitude than a full-fledged mental disorder):
- Fear of ground transport and accidents.
- Fear of air / water travelling.
- Fear of a specific type and even color of transport (you can be afraid, for example, of black Mercedes, and it’s not a joke).
- Fear of stuffy and cramped transport (share taxi, where you have to sit between two passengers).
- The fear of losing control on the road in full view of all passengers (to die, to faint, to need an ambulance, to do something stupid).
- Fear of being the driver responsible for his/her own life and the lives of passengers. This fear is more common in women.
You should also know that amaxophobia has its own scale of manifestation. Like any phobia, fear of travelling on public transport can remain hidden, limited to a slight shaking. But it can manifest itself too vividly with all the “due” symptoms: rapid pulse, shortness of breath, pallor, fainting, tremor of the hands and the whole body, pressure surges, panic attacks, a sense of impending death. Phobia can progress or stay stable throughout life. Amaxophobia will not disappear independently and will not lose its bright colors.
You can try to keep a panic inside, but it will work only up to a certain point. The day will come, and the phobia becomes stronger than its master, begins to control him/her. To avoid this, it is necessary to take measures as soon as the first somatic symptoms.
Each Alarmist Has Specific Amaxophobia
Fear of taking public transport is rich not only in forms and brightness of manifestations, but also in its “arguments”. People carry different nerve pathology, and this phobia can manifest differently:
- Moral rejection of transport as an uncomfortable place. People with high anxiety, suspicious, shy, possessing a bouquet of psychological complexes do not particularly favor public transport. It is uncomfortable, everybody looks at you, assess you, sometimes it seems that people are laughing at you. And all this dirt, germs, bad smells … The list of reasons why nervous, psychologically unstable people dislike public transport, can be very long.
- A conscious fear of getting into trouble. Hypochondriacs, impressionable, nervous people watch the news, listen to the stories of friends and immediately imagine themselves in the place of the tragically dead character. Despite the fact that the death rate from accidents is almost 6 times lower than the death rate from ischemia and stroke, people still tend to be afraid of accidents.
- Obsessive thoughts, neurosis. The fear of tragedy in this case takes on a chronic form. Neurotics can not get rid of the idea that today with them and in this very transport trouble will happen. Not necessarily an accident or engine failure in the middle of a deserted road in the minus 35. It could be fear of a panic attack, which is more typical for those suffering from dystonia, tend to spin their panic to the universal scale. What’s interesting is that this is what happens. Sometimes even before a person sits in the passenger seat. At the mere sight of the car the alarmist begins to tremble. Fear of travel on public transport is associated with a reluctance to suddenly die in plain sight. Absurd, but true.
- Phobia, the causes of which can not always be clear to the patient. Yes, phobias sometimes begin in early childhood, and the memory may not hold all of the events associated with fear. But the subconscious mind is an eternal and reliable repository of our tragedies and neuroses. It is from there that psychiatrists have to get the causes of phobia to return the patient to a full life.
By the way, neuroses and obsessive thoughts always are at risk of developing into a real phobia, if you do not take action in time. We will talk about them now.
Treatment of Amaxophobia
Some experts believe that it is not necessary to treat amaxophobia. Fear is just a natural defense that keeps us alive. Having a phobia of transport, people will even be able to become more practical, reasonable. They will not drive a car while intoxicated and will not allow a drunk driver to take them. But there is a threat that the phobia will grow and this is bad. Some people because of the panic before transport not only spend all holidays in the hometown (even going outside of the town frightens them), but also change work, choosing the one to which it is possible to reach on foot. It may not be a good work. Of course, if the person is completely satisfied with the situation, he can refuse of treatment. Maybe he is not a fan of travel, and work in a nearby building is preferable.
Other phobias may hide under the fear of transport: social phobia, thanatophobia (fear of death), fear of closed spaces, heights, water, own body or microbes. These fears are sure to make themselves felt in the future, spoiling life thoroughly.
Note!The easiest way is to apply to a therapist who can help the patient to take a different look at the world. With a slight degree of fear, the patient is able to overestimate his attitude to transport and to the reason that caused panic fear.
Impressionable dreamers should direct their energy in a different direction. By the way, you can write a book about his phobia and thus help many alarmists.